Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Windshielding

As I go about my business, I can often find an excuse to drive over Moose Hill as a shortcut even though I doubt it saves any time. I enjoy the drive through the quiet forest as I take in the sights and dream of those times when I get to visit on bike or on foot. This morning was one of those drives.

Soon after I turned up Moose Hill Parkway, I saw a big tom turkey strutting across the road. His body was a rich brown, his head bright red and he was sporting a long beard. He didn't seem in a hurry to cross the road, and even though he was moving deliberately he may have been lucky that this particular vehicle was in no rush. It occurred to me that, this being Spring and turkey mating season was probably under way, there should be females around if this allegedly reclusive bird was so casually strolling through traffic in broad daylight. Sure enough, after scanning the roadside woods for a minute or so, I spotted a duller brown, well-camouflaged hen busily pecking away in the leaves.

We see lots of turkeys in eastern Massachusetts these days. In some places, they are even becoming bold and aggressive around people. I can still remember when living in Syracuse, NY in the late 70's and early 80's that restocking programs began to pay off and there were turkey hunting seasons for the first time in many years. I fear that the development pendulum is now swinging rapidly in the other direction and all the new robust wildlife populations that have been restored through changing land use patterns and conservation efforts will be squeezed into ever-smaller patches of wild land.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Blogger Susan Gets Native said...

I think maybe good ol' Ben Franklin was on to something with turkeys...
They are pretty cool.
I really like your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home